SATs 2021: When Are The KS1 & KS2 SATs Test Dates And Everything Else You Need To Know
The SATs 2021 may already be in your mind, now that the Government have confirmed that the 2020 SATs will not happen because of the coronavirus lockdown. They’re still some ways away, but here’s where you can find the latest information on the Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 SATs 2021.
Note: This page will be updated as the government releases new information about the 2021 SATS over the coming months.
What are SATs (in the UK)?
The SATs are a series of standardised assessments for Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 pupils, aimed at testing their learning progress. SATs results are also used by government (and many parents) as one indicator of a school’s quality – better results means a better school.
Read more: What Are SATs: Parents Guide To The SATs (UK)
When are the KS1 SATs 2021?
The KS1 SATs for 2021 will, as usual, take place during May. More details will be added here as the government releases them.
When are the KS2 SATs 2021?
The 2021 KS2 SATs will take place between Monday 10th May and Thursday 13th May.
- Monday May 10th 2021: Spelling, punctuation and grammar (Grammar/Punctuation Test) – 45 minutes
- Monday May 10th 2021: Spelling, punctuation and grammar (Spelling Test) – 20 minutes
- Tuesday May 11th 2021: Reading Test – 60 minutes
- Wednesday May 12th 2021: Maths Paper 1 (Arithmetic) – 30 minutes
- Wednesday May 12th 2021: Maths Paper 2 (Reasoning) – 40 minutes
- Thursday May 13th 2021: Maths Paper 3 (Reasoning) – 40 minutes
[Free] Year 6 SATs Parents Meeting Powerpoint
All the key information set out clearly in a way to inform your Year 6 parents. Editable and adaptable for your own school context
What will children be tested on in the 2021 SATs?
While both the KS1 and KS2 SATs will take place in May, their formats are rather different. The Key Stage 1 SATs are made of 6 total papers, and are not usually timed. The KS2 SATs also have 6 papers, but these are timed.
At KS2 there is also a ‘Writing’ component to the SATs, but this is usually teacher-assessed.
KS1 SATs Papers 2021
Year 2 pupils will sit these papers in May 2021:
The KS1 Maths SATs (2 Papers)
- Paper 1 is a 25 mark arithmetic test; it usually takes around 15 minutes.
- Paper 2 involves reasoning, problem solving and mathematical fluency questions, and takes around 35 minutes.
The KS1 SPaG SATs (2 Papers)
- Paper 1 is a 20 word spelling paper for 20 marks, and takes 15 minutes.
- Paper 2 is a reading booklet containing several different passages – usually around 900 words in total.
The KS1 Reading SATs (2 Papers)
- Paper 1 consists of a variety of texts totalling between 400-700 words. Pupils will have to answer questions throughout.
- Paper 2 consists of a reading booklet containing different passages of text. This will average out at roughly 900 words.
KS2 SATs Papers 2021
Year 6 pupils will sit the following papers in May. There will be no science sampling for the 2021 SATs.
The KS2 Reading SATs:
- This test is one paper, consisting of three different passages of text and questions about them. There is a one hour time limit.
The KS2 SPaG SATs:
- Paper 1 is a 20 word aural spelling test – usually around 15 minutes long.
- Paper 2 is a written English grammar and punctuation paper, which will last for 45 minutes.
The KS2 Maths SATs (3 Papers):
- Paper 1 is an arithmetic paper that takes 30 minutes.
- Papers 2 and 3 are reasoning papers, each lasting 40 minutes.
This information may be subject to change based on information released by the government. Watch this space for more detailed information to come, or visits our SATs 2020 guide to get a general idea of what else to expect.
Information for SLT planning SATs 2021 timetables
When will the KS1 SATs papers be released?
It is likely that the KS1 SATs papers will be released from embargo in early June 2021. This will include all test materials (including mark schemes) and the score conversion table.
When do the KS1 SATs results 2021 come out?
As KS1 SATs papers are marked internally in accordance with the mark scheme provided by the Standards and Testing Agency, schools can decide if and when they release the results.
While there is no obligation to release results to parents, many schools tend to include a summary as part of their end-of-year reports.
When will the KS2 SATs papers be released?
KS2 SATs papers are usually released at the end of May. For the 2018/2019 year this happened on Tuesday 21st May, leaving plenty of time for our curriculum experts to analyse and break down the questions, the results of which you can find at the bottom of this post.
When do the KS2 SATs results 2021 come out?
We do not yet have information on when results will be released for the KS2 SATs 2021 – watch this space for updates!
Another key date for KS2 SATs results is when the league tables are released; in 2019 they were published in December. League table positions are one part of the data Ofsted scrutinise as part of pre-inspection preparation, so a good position (or an improved one) is something schools are always striving for.
When to apply by to vary the time of the tests in your school
Schools can vary a test time between 7am and 7pm on the day of a test, so that an individual pupil or part of the cohort can take a test on the scheduled date, but at a different time from the rest of the cohort.
In 2021 many schools may need to consider varying test times, as Eid is due to begin on the evening of Wednesday, 12th May. The government has also suggested delaying the tests entirely if large numbers of pupils are likely to be absent from school.
Special consideration for SATS
This can be applied for from 13th May (the Thursday of SATs week), with a week before the deadline.
Special considerations add 3 to a pupil’s scaled score if they apply, and many schools don’t apply for them despite meeting the conditions, so it’s worth keeping them in mind.
Helpful GOV.UK Links For The KS1 And KS2 SATs 2021
Much of the key documentation is available on gov.uk and updated for every academic year. As further information is released we will update these links.
KS1: National Curriculum Assessments KS1 tests page. This includes:
- Key stage 1 assessment and reporting arrangements
- Key stage 1 calendar of SATs dates
- Access arrangements
- Test administration
KS2: National Curriculum Assessments KS2 tests page. This includes:
- Key stage 2 assessment and reporting arrangements
- Key stage 2 planner
- Access arrangements
- Test administration
- Monitoring visits
Read more about the SATs:
- KS2 SATs Results 2019: What Every SLT and Maths Lead Should Know
- KS2 SATs 2019 Question Breakdown for Maths
- 8 Reasons Great Arithmetic Skills Are Key For KS2 SATs – Free Arithmetic Practice Resource!
- KS2 SATS Results 2018: How to look at the data and plan your next steps
- KS2 SATS 2018 Question Breakdown for Maths
Online 1-to-1 maths lessons trusted by schools and parents
Every week Third Space Learning’s maths specialist tutors support thousands of primary school children with weekly online 1-to-1 lessons. Since 2013 we’ve helped over 60,000 children become more confident, able mathematicians. Lessons are available for schools looking to support their target pupils and for parents looking for maths help at home.