SATs 2021: When Are The KS1 & KS2 SATs Test Dates And Everything Else You Need To Know
The SATs 2021 will no longer be taking place this year following an announcement from the Education Secretary on 6th January 2021. This is as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, school closures and pupils absences.
SATs 2022 will be going ahead as usual.
When are the KS1 SATs 2021?
The KS1 SATs for 2021 were to have taken place during May.
When are the KS2 SATs 2021?
The 2021 KS2 SATs were due to have taken place between Monday 10th May and Thursday 13th May.
- Monday May 10th 2021: Spelling, punctuation and grammar (Grammar/Punctuation Test) – 45 minutes
- Monday May 10th 2021: Spelling, punctuation and grammar (Spelling Test) – 20 minutes
- Tuesday May 11th 2021: Reading Test – 60 minutes
- Wednesday May 12th 2021: Maths Paper 1 (Arithmetic) – 30 minutes
- Wednesday May 12th 2021: Maths Paper 2 (Reasoning) – 40 minutes
- Thursday May 13th 2021: Maths Paper 3 (Reasoning) – 40 minutes
[Free] Year 6 SATs Parents Meeting Powerpoint
All the key information set out clearly in a way to inform your Year 6 parents. Editable and adaptable for your own school context
Format of KS1 and KS2 SATs
While both the KS1 and KS2 SATs usually take place in May, their formats are rather different. The Key Stage 1 SATs are made of 6 total papers, and are not usually timed. The KS2 SATs also have 6 papers, but these are timed.
At KS2 there is also a ‘Writing’ component to the SATs, but this is usually teacher-assessed.
KS1 SATs Papers 2021
These are the exams Year 2 pupils usually sit.
The KS1 Maths SATs (2 Papers)
- Paper 1 is a 25 mark arithmetic test; it usually takes around 15 minutes.
- Paper 2 involves reasoning, problem solving and mathematical fluency questions, and takes around 35 minutes.
The KS1 SPaG SATs (2 Papers)
- Paper 1 is a 20 word spelling paper for 20 marks, and takes 15 minutes.
- Paper 2 is a reading booklet containing several different passages – usually around 900 words in total.
The KS1 Reading SATs (2 Papers)
- Paper 1 consists of a variety of texts totalling between 400-700 words. Pupils will have to answer questions throughout.
- Paper 2 consists of a reading booklet containing different passages of text. This will average out at roughly 900 words.
KS2 SATs Papers 2021
These are the exams Year 6 pupils usually sit in May.
The KS2 Reading SATs:
- This test is one paper, consisting of three different passages of text and questions about them. There is a one hour time limit.
The KS2 SPaG SATs:
- Paper 1 is a 20 word aural spelling test – usually around 15 minutes long.
- Paper 2 is a written English grammar and punctuation paper, which will last for 45 minutes.
The KS2 Maths SATs (3 Papers):
- Paper 1 is an arithmetic paper that takes 30 minutes.
- Papers 2 and 3 are reasoning papers, each lasting 40 minutes.
Read more about the SATs:
- KS2 SATs Results 2019: What Every SLT and Maths Lead Should Know
- KS2 SATs 2019 Question Breakdown for Maths
- KS2 SATS Results 2018: How to look at the data and plan your next steps
- KS2 SATS 2018 Question Breakdown for Maths
Online 1-to-1 maths lessons trusted by schools and teachers
Every week Third Space Learning’s maths specialist tutors support thousands of primary school children with weekly online 1-to-1 lessons and maths interventions. Since 2013 we’ve helped over 90,000 children become more confident, able mathematicians. Learn more or request a personalised quote to speak to us about your needs and how we can help.
|Primary school tuition targeted to the needs of each child and closely following the National Curriculum.|