Colourful Holi Maths Activities: Topical Maths 
Next up on our topical blog posts is every messy child’s dream – a bunch of Holi maths activities! The Hindu festival of love, or festival of colour represents a range of ideas: from the arrival of spring, the end of winter, forgiveness, friendship, to a thanksgiving for a good harvest.
For us here at Third Space Learning – and you the teacher – it also provides a chance to encourage diversity in your classroom, discuss the importance of Maths in religions and offers another opportunity to bring topical calendar-based maths into the classroom in order to bridge the gap between maths in school and maths in the real world.
KS2 Topical Maths Problems for Spring Term
Fun maths investigations linked to calendar dates, designed to develop reasoning and problem solving in your pupils
Holi-based topical Maths investigation – Creating Colour
Colour is all around us, but have you ever noticed how many shades of paint there are in a DIY store? Isn’t it cool to think that all the colours in the world are just a mix of the three primary colours?
Have a look at the colour chart below and answering the following questions:
- What do you notice about the colours on this chart?
- How do you think they were made?
- Create your own paint colour chart for your favourite colour. You can even name each shade if you are feeling creative. For each new colour you create, record the ratio and proportion of the colours you used to make it.
Tweet us at @thirdspacetweet and tell us how you incorporate Holi and Islamic Art into your Maths lessons
Check out 20+ more fun topical Maths investigations KS2 in our blog: 5 Ways to Use Topical Maths to Improve Problem Solving and Reasoning.
Here’s our complete list of topical maths investigations for year 5 and year 6.
Autumn Term maths investigations year 6 and year 5
- Autumn maths activities
- Halloween maths activities
- Bonfire Night maths activities
- Christmas maths activities and Christmas quiz
Spring Term maths investigations year 6 and year 5
- Heart Month Months activities
- Shrove Tuesday Maths activities
- Pancake Day Maths activities
- World Book Day Maths activities
- International Women’s Day Maths activities
- British Science Week Maths activities
- Easter/Lent Maths activities
Summer term maths investigations year 6 and year 5
- Share-a-Story Month activities
- FA Cup Maths activities
- Walk to School Week activities
- Ramadan Maths activities
- Child Safety Week activities
And if that’s not enough we’ve even got maths activities for Year 5 and Year 6 for events you’re likely to celebrate in primary school but don’t come round every year…
Do you have pupils who need extra support in maths?
Every week Third Space Learning’s maths specialist tutors support thousands of pupils across hundreds of schools with weekly online 1-to-1 lessons and maths interventions designed to plug gaps and boost progress.
Since 2013 we’ve helped over 150,000 primary and secondary school pupils become more confident, able mathematicians. Learn more or request a personalised quote for your school to speak to us about your school’s needs and how we can help.
Primary school tuition targeted to the needs of each child and closely following the National Curriculum.