2018 Safeguarding Children
What is Safeguarding?
Safeguarding is defined in Working together to safeguard children 2018 as:
- protecting children from maltreatment
- preventing impairment of children’s health and development
- ensuring that children grow up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care
- taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes
Safeguarding at Third Space regarding tutors
- All tutors at Third Space Learning have a PCC (Police Clearance Certificate). This is the official Police Clearance Certificate (similar to a UK DBS check) to certify that ‘the applicant has not been involved in any criminal case and that there is no criminal case pending against him/her in the court of law as per the district police records. It [also] notes whether [at] any time the applicant was arrested, along with the reason for and the nature of each case for which there is an evidence/record.’ The only scenario in which a tutor will not have a certificate is due to administrative delay. A tutor’s employment by Third Space Learning will be immediately terminated if they fail the PCC check.
- All tutors undergo initial safeguarding training from UK DBS checked and qualified teachers. This is in line with UK guidelines.
- All tutors have provided original copies of their identification and education certificates.
Safeguarding at Third Space regarding pupil-tutor interactions
- Tutors have the ability to raise a flag during and/or after each session if they suspect a possible safeguarding incident. These incidents are documented and communicated to schools.
- All sessions are recorded and monitored. These recordings are available to schools on request and are also analysed by qualified and experienced UK Maths Teachers as part of tutors’ continual professional development.
- Tutors have no access to pupil data (other than for academic requirements) and they know their pupils only by their first name and initial of surname, for example Jen R.
- Pupils can only work with tutors when directed by their teacher, and have no booking or access rights themselves.
- Our tutors operate under the management of our Academic and Operational staff from our secure Academic Centres. Two senior staff are appointed as Safeguarding Officers at each Academic Centre and are present at all times during live sessions.